Nicotine Salts Vs. Freebase Nicotine
There has been a steady shift in preference between nicotine salts vs. freebase nicotine in the vaping community in recent years. While some of this is based on intention as long-time vapers find a desire for specific flavors and concentrations, some of the shift is purely out of necessity. While both can offer you the nicotine you need, this pattern is likely to continue as nic salts grow to take up a larger market share in the vaping industry.
Understanding Nicotine Salts Vs. Freebase Nicotine
Before looking at the way vaping has changed, it helps if you understand what exactly nicotine salts are vs. freebase nicotine. Nicotine naturally occurs in its salt form in tobacco plants. This is not the same as the nicotine salts you buy for your favorite vape, but we’ll get to that in a minute. Early nicotine extractions, often meant to be used to make cigarettes and other tobacco products more potent, were freebase nicotine. These liquid concentrations were made by adding ammonia to the nicotine, raising its pH level.
By raising the pH level, the nicotine becomes bioavailable more rapidly, meaning you’re getting a stronger hit faster. For the tobacco companies that pioneered this process, it meant their products were stronger and more addictive, thus generating increased profits. It’s not optimal for vaping, however, as anyone who’s tortured the back of their throat with old-school e-liquids too much can tell you.
Nicotines salts vs. freebase nicotine has a lower pH level. This is because instead of mixing the pure nicotine salts with ammonia to create a more alkaline formula, they’re mixed with benzoic acid, lowering the pH. This does several things. First, it lowers the temperatures at which the nicotine salts atomize to a level where you can get a good, clean burn with lower voltage and high resistance. Second, a chemical reaction occurs on heating that converts the nicotine into a form that enters the body faster and is more usable, raising the bioavailability much as ammonia did for freebase nicotine. Third, it is far gentler on the throat and lungs, allowing for concentrations that are unheard of in freebase nicotine due to harshness.
So What Does The Science Really Mean For Vapers?
- Gentler Experience - Vaping is supposed to be enjoyable, and for some vapers, that harsh throat hit is just a bit too much. If the raw, burning feeling of freebase nicotine vs. nicotine salts’ more mellow mouth and throat feel is putting you off vaping, then it might be time for you to make a change, just as many other vaping enthusiasts have. After all, feeling good and chucking clouds is what it’s all about.
- Higher Nicotine Concentrations - When combined with more rapid bioavailability, the higher nicotine concentrations are proving to be a favorite among vaping enthusiasts. By delivering more nicotine at once, you can give your body more of the hit it craves in fewer puffs. This comes in handy when you’re on a short vape break at work, getting a few puffs in while waiting for the kids to finish soccer practice, or having a quick pick-me-up before after the club lets out while you wait for your Uber.
- Longer Lasting - Nic salt devices use lower voltage and increased resistance to create the heat needed to burn nic salts more efficiently. The higher concentrations of nicotine in nicotine salts vs. freebase nicotine also means less liquid is needed to generate your hit, making your tank last longer. When you want a vape that is going to be an all-day, all-night companion, it’s the best way to go.
- Saves Money - For the cost-conscious vaper, there are clear benefits to nic salt vaping. Since you use less liquid and you don’t have to recharge as often in most cases, you can save money in the long run using nicotine salts vs. freebase nicotine. Less money spent means more money in your pocket, and that’s always a good thing.
- Convenience - With the reduced power and juice requirements, nic salts have given rise to pen vapes that are more effective, safer, and user-friendly than ever. Devices like the Juul, which has become synonymous with vaping for some, use easy to swap pods that take almost all the labor out of living the vape lifestyle. Purists may scoff at these simple devices, but there’s nothing wrong with vaping your way.
Get Your Supplies Fast
Once you’ve decided whether nicotine salts vs. freebase nicotine is right for you, you can count on us to deliver the flavors you love for a great price. Browse our selection and find the juices and gear you need for better vaping. Order from Elevated Vaping today.